CONTRADA OF THE DRAGON -
FROM THE PAST
the Middle Ages, the vast and well-protected castle of the Malavolti
family dominated the territory of the military companies of San
Donato and Sant’Egidio, where the Contrada of the Dragon originated
The site on which the basilica and Convent of St. Domenic were built
was donated by a Malavolti in the year 1220 to the founder of the
order of the Predicatori, who was then in Siena on a visit. The
ancient church of Sant’Egidio and the convent of the Capuchin nuns
erected at the end of the 16th century was demolished in 1903 to
make room for the new post office building in the new called piazza
Matteotti. The oratory of St. Catherine had stood in this square,
since the heart of the Dragon.
In 1650 during the festivities in honor of the grand dukes of
Tuscany a palio was run in which the horses made four laps around
the course. The Dragon came out victorious thanks to the skill of
jockey, Simone, called Mone.
But the contrada’s most famous jockey was the young girl Virginia,
who ran for the contrada di Camporegio in 1581; unlucky in the run,
she became a legend for her grace and prowess.
identity & territory |
victories & banners