CONTRADA OF THE SHE-WOLF - FROM THE PAST
Siena expanded eastward in the 11th century, toward the area divided
by Via Francigena .
Since the two quarters that had sprung up at either side of this
road were not enclosed by the city walls until the start of the 13th
century, their residents founded the Compagnia di San Donato and The
Compagnia di San’t Andrea for security. In 1302, the town purchased
a plot of land in the Valle Rozzi, where it wished to build a
fountain, later named the Fonte Nuova. The men of the military
companies joined forces on several occasions to participate in the
jousts and other civil and religious ceremonies, and so founded the
contrada, which chose as its symbol the She-Wolf suckling Romulus
and Remus, perhaps in memory of the time when Siena was a Roman
colony. The Contrada of the She-Wolf also had its own laical
company, in 1519 asked for authorization to construct an oratory
where it would meet. The oratory was dedicated to Saint Rock.
In 1743, the incessant altercations between the contrada and the
laical company forced the civil magistrate to order the brothers of
the Compagnia di San Rocco to host the She-Wolf members foe their
meetings and religious functions. In exchange, the contrada
contributed three pounds of wax per year and donated all the banners
won in the Palii. When the laical companies were suppressed in 1789,
the contrada was left without a headquarters.
The palio run on 15 august 1867, anticipating the usual 16
Augustdate by the one day so that Giuseppe Garibaldi could attend.
On that occasion, the hero of the “two worlds” gave his photograph,
with a handwritten dedication, to the winning jockey; it has been a
jealously guarded possession of the contrada ever since.
identity & territory |
victories & banners